Monday, August 11, 2008

Internal Viewfinder

Just when I start thinking I should leave this state I have a weekend like last weekend. It's easy for me to get so caught up in day-to-day that I forget to look up. But once in a while I get a vivid reminder that some of the world's most spectacular mountains surround me and I really should appreciate their proximity and grandeur.

This weekend we camped at Albion Basin in Little Cottonwood canyon and spend Sunday morning at 10,500 feet on top of Catherine Pass at a place called Sunset Peak. It was a breathtaking hike--literally--and an awe inspiring view from the top. From the summit we could see from Alta to Brighton to Mt. Timpanogos and on to Heber City.

Hundreds of wildflowers pointed the way and the chipmunks at the top scurried around me and sniffed my fingertips in greeting. When we got back, three huge bull moose took up residence not 100 feet from our campsite and acknowledged our presence in their backyard with their bugling call.

I feel lucky to live in a place so packed with nature's spectacular beauty and heartstopping scenery. Once in a while I remember to appreciate it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like so much fun! It also sounds breath taking! Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Utah, because not all places have it ;)

Anonymous said...

What a spectacular view to hike Catherine's Pass and experience the beauty of Alta this time of year! Two summers ago I went there and it was as if I had jumped into a poster. I feel so blessed to have called Utah my home for three years. Thanks for sharing and jogging my memory.